- With the assistance of Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) forest rehabilitation and reforestation project is being implemented in Kotayk Marz with the purpose of establishing a modern nursery within “Hrazdan Forestry” Branch of “Hayantar” SNCO. The project includes establishment of experimental seed-collection areas, trainings on seed and plant production, forest plantations, natural regeneration and care for forestry employees.Ministry of Agriculture has already accomplished fencing of the nursery, construction of the irrigation system and renovation of the office building within the project. Greenhouse set acquisition and installation, as well as seed processing equipment procurement is under way.
- ENPI FLEG Program “Improving Forest Law Enforcement and Governance in the European Neighborhood Policy East Countries and Russia” supports governments of participating countries in the improvement of forest legislation on the regional level for the enhancement of forest conservation and protection/control activities, reduction of illegal logging as well as development of sound and sustainable forest management practices.
- In 2009-2010 forest crops were grown on 230 hectares in Gougark Forestry Branch of Lori Marz jointly with World Wide Fund for Nature, Armenia Branch (WWF). The project was funded by The German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) and German Development Bank (KfW).
- “Adaptation to Climate Change Impacts in Mountain Forest Ecosystems of Armenia Project” funded by United Nations Development Program (UNDP) Global Environment Facility (GEF) is being implemented jointly with the Ministry of Agriculture of RA.The Project entails rehabilitation of degraded and burned forest lands in Syunik Marz Forestry Branches. In 2009-2010, plantations were established on 15 hectares of area in “Hayantar” SNCO “Syunik” forest enterprise branch, and 20 ha of juniper plantations were established for the purpose of burnt juniper area rehabilitation in “Kapan” forest enterprise branch. As juniper forest areas are hard to rehabilitate in Armenia, and almost no successful artificial rehabilitation practices had ever been registered, juniper plantation establishment through seeding and transplanting was a pilot project.
Procurement of forest fire management equipment as well as other forest management equipment, all-terrain trucks, organization of fire response activities, implementation of aerial chemical methods of pest and disease control, organization of trainings on environmental and other forestry issues, etc. have been planned to be performed under the Project.
- Regional Environmental Centre for the Caucasus (REC Caucasus) implements the Project “Fostering community forest policy and practice in mountain regions of the Caucasus”.The goal of the project is to foster the management and policy improvement in the community forests, elaborate relevant legal set-up for forest management, forest area conservation, poverty reduction, etc.
The Project is planning to implement two pilot community management projects in each of the countries in the Caucasus, draft forest management plans, plant forests, conduct trainings, etc.
- In 2006-2009 reforestation and fencing of 1300 hectares of land was implemented in a number of Marzes of Armenia (Lori, Tavush, Syunik, Kotayk, Shirak, Aragtsot) as well as in the city of Yerevan. The activities were financed by Partnership fund established within the “Growth of Food Production Program” of the Government of Japan.
- In 2006 and 2008 “Hayantar” performed the rehabilitation of the pumping station and irrigation system, fencing and establishment of a park in 60 ha of land adjacent to hydroelectric power stations of Nubarashen forest enterprise branch of Yerevan Forestry. The activities were funded by the “Forest Rehabilitation and Development Fund”. In 2010 establishment and fencing of plantations were performed in 25 ha of Artik forest enterprise branch of Gyumri Forestry.
This post is also available in: Armenian